Some New Groups & Projects Formed from YBS:
- Girls Bike Club (Chicago project of West Town Bikes)
- Biking Public Project, A minority bike coalition (NYC) – A new project to engage more women, minorities and delivery cyclists into the local and national advocacy conversation.
- WE Bike – Women’s Empowerment in Bicycling (NYC) – Aims to break down the barriers for women and transgender bike riders by offering social rides, training rides, free mechanics classes and ride scholarships.
- Chain Reaction Mobile Bike Shop (Youth run project at Bikes Not Bombs in Boston)
Some New Leaders Emerged from YBS:
- 2011 Youth Bike Summit Keynote Speaker Kimberly White was invited to be a Keynote Speaker at the Safe Routes to School Conference in Minneapolis, MN
- 2012 Youth Bike Summit Keynote Speaker Alpha Barry introduced Congresswoman Nydia Velasquez at her inauguration ceremony in New York, NY
- 2013 Youth Bike Summit Keynote Speaker Devlin Chen was invited to join the League of American Bicyclists Equity Advisory Council (EAC). Through an internship at The League, she created a EAC Report and a survey that addresses what motivates and challenges youth to ride bikes. Devlynn is now organizing a delegation from Handlebar, her college bike club, to attend the YBS 2014.
Some New Initiatives Inspired by YBS:
- Bikerowave launched a youth bike mechanics program in their bike co-op in Los Angeles, CA
- After attending a workshop called Youth Governance by Bike Works in Seattle, Phoenix Bikes in Arlington, VA added youth to their Board of Directors
- Bikes Not Bombs led a Skype exchange between participants at the Youth Bike Summit and World Bicycle Forum in Brazil
- Parsons The New School launched a Pilot Pre-college Credit Program, where 8 high school students earning college credit for their participation in the Youth Bike Summit and related projects in their local communities. This program is sponsored by Parsons The New School and Rails-to-Trails Conservancy.
Impacts of YBS Beyond the United States:
- Youth Bike Summits were held in Canada and England, led by attendees of the Youth Bike Summit.